Point Breeze Credit Union Awards $24,000 in Scholarships
Hunt Valley, Md. – August 6, 2015 – Point Breeze Credit Union announces the 2015 recipients of its ninth annual scholarship competition. This year, the Point Breeze Credit Union Board approved additional scholarships after receiving the most applications to date. The college-bound winners will each receive $1,500 toward their continued education.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants had to be a member of the credit union and demonstrate great ambition in and out of school. An independent committee judged the applications based on academic excellence, involvement in school and community activities, leadership skills, initiative and the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People.” This year’s essay question asked, “You have just graduated and landed your first job with a starting salary of $50,000 per year. What are your short-term (1-2 years) and long-term (5 years plus) financial goals? How will you manage your money?”
The 2015 Point Breeze Credit Union Scholarship Winners are:
- Siaka Bafalie – Siaka is a graduate of Chesapeake High School and will attend Virginia Wesleyan College. Siaka was also an intern at Point Breeze.
- Alexandra Bowen – Alexandra is a graduate of North Harford High School and will attend Harford Community College.
- Abigail Cox – Abigail attended Susquehannock High School in Pennsylvania and will attend Shippensburg University.
- Kylie Dunham – Kylie is a graduate of Central Dauphin High School in Pennsylvania and will attend Juniata College.
- Austin Glab – Austin is a graduate of Calvert Hall College and will attend York College of Pennsylvania.
- Bethany Guthall – Bethany is a graduate of Hereford High School and will attend Lynchburg College
- Gabriel Lee – Gabriel is a graduate of Dulaney High School and will attend Towson University.
- Lauren Loftus – Lauren is a graduate of C. Milton Wright High School and will attend University of Maryland.
- Angel Markley – Angel is a graduate of Greater Grace Christian Academy and will attend the Community College of Baltimore County.
- Kristin Newman – Kristin is a graduate of Dulaney High School and will attend Emory University.
- Robert Palmisano – Robert is a graduate of Hereford High School and will attend Duke University.
- Michelle Rogers – Michelle is a graduate of Kenwood High School and will attend the Community College of Baltimore County.
- Destiny Schriefer – Destiny is a graduate of Sparrows Point High School and will attend University of Maryland.
- Katelyn Skelton – Katelyn is a graduate of South Carroll High School and will attend Carroll Community College.
- Ryan Sprangel – Ryan is a graduate of South Carroll High School and will attend North Carolina State University.
- Zachary Vance – Zachary is a graduate of Archbishop Spalding High School and will attend University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC).
“This year, we had a lot of interest in the scholarship from very talented students. That’s why our board decided to offer more scholarships for the 2015 competition,” said President/CEO Bernard McLaughlin. “The winners did an excellent job thinking through financial goals for their first salary in the essays. We’re excited to contribute to the bright futures of these college-bound members.”
Scholarship winner Destiny Schriefer, who will attend University of Maryland in the fall and study biology, commented, “With this scholarship, I will be able to help pay my tuition, which allows me to accomplish more than I ever hoped. Thank you to Point Breeze for helping me [to] pursue a degree as a physician assistant at University of Maryland!”